Read on for a quick rundown of the relationship between SEO and guest blogging, plus loads of super-actionable tips for formulating your approach to this terrific marketing strategy!
Guest posting is one of the most effective strategies to expand your audience and boost traffic to your website as long as you do it with care and regard for general SEO rules.
If you’re looking for an effective way to generate awareness, raise interest in your niche, and increase traffic to your website, guest posting will do the trick.
What Is Guest Blogging?
At the heart of guest blogging (also known as guest posting) lies a clear quid pro quo, and both guest blogger and blog host gain something from the transaction. Guest blogging is when:
- a guest contributor writes content about their own product or business
- for publication on a site that doesn’t belong to them
- in return for a backlink from that site (which may be a high authority site) to the writers’ site (which may be a newer site of lesser SEO standing).
How Does Guest Blogging Help SEO?
The practice of guest blogging is based on the principles of content marketing strategy and therefore benefits both parties:
- Sharing expertise helps the guest blogger to build their reputation as an authority figure within a niche market.
- Guest blogging has a potent networking effect. It supports the building of relationships with other thought leaders in the field. Influential bloggers’ online posts could deeply impact their industry.
- Guest bloggers get exposure for their brands by tapping directly into the host blog’s established audience. Essentially, they get to make pitch to a pre-existing audience who are already interested in their field or industry.
- The host blog gets fresh content, even when they are too busy to write regular blogs.
- There are synergistic benefits from reacting to or expanding on fresh new material introduced by a guest blogger.
- A guest blogger may introduce new ideas or hold a different viewpoint, stimulating established audiences.
- Hosting a guest blogger is clear social proof of the popularity and authority of your blog.
What Is The Impact Of Guest Blogging On Seo?
While both parties benefit from a guest blogging arrangement, the guest blogger arguably benefits the most. The SEO benefits of linking a high authority blog to a newer blog are significant and will almost always help the newer site start climbing the search engine ranks gradually.
That implies that there may be some drawbacks, particularly to the host blog.
Remember that the point of a content marketing strategy is to provide genuinely helpful, relevant information to readers. Google wants to be sure that blog contents remain relevant and exciting, so blog owners must consistently feature good, relevant, informative “quality” content. We are frequently preoccupied with other aspects of our business, therefore it would be prudent to utilize an IT support outsourcing service that can write quality content for us while also organizing them on our website.
If a host accepts spammy or poor-quality posts, he risks losing his ranking authority. In a worst-case scenario, a host website could lose years of effort within a relatively short period of time.
If, however, the guest blogger is considerate and sensitive to the needs of their host and can produce high-value guest blogs for reputable websites, guest blogging is a win-win long-term SEO strategy for both parties.
The Do’s And Don’t Of SEO and Guest Blogging
The obvious first principle is to find the right host blog. There would be no point in prattling on lawn care when an audience is an international group of ice sculptors!
- Write quality content: Inform, educate, entice! Surprise everyone with a new take on dusty topics. Don’t write a sales pitch for your product or indulge in blatant self-promotion.
- Link just once to avoid SEO penalties: It may be best to link from your author bio rather than from within a page, especially if you envision more than one guest post. That way, you can ask the host to ensure that links from within web pages always have the no-follow attribute applied.
- Stick to the host’s rules: Websites that accept guest blog posts have rules and will ask you to abide by their basic principles. Rules may include a minimum or maximum word count, specifications for images, deadlines, and provisions for editing or modifications.
What Else Can You Do To Strengthen Seo?
Always use your full marketers’ toolkit: Keyword research tools (free Google tools or premium SEO strategy suites), the fastest VPN, and a system to structure and analyze your data.
- Do proper keyword research: You must know what you want to rank for! Keyword research is a systematic process with clearly defined steps and a structured result.
- Use a VPN. For example, connecting to a VPN server in Canada will not only keep your website more secure but also will give you a more accurate view of Search Engine Result Pages.
- Look for fun or an otherwise new angle for every blog. Don’t rehash or rewrite the dull old stuff elsewhere on the internet. The idea is to rise through the ranks and become a thought leader. Get thinking!
- Section and structure the newly written content. If you haven’t had the opportunity, this is a good time to come to grips with HTML markup. Use those H2s and H3s, and don’t panic! You only need to know the basics.
- Pepper your articles with great headlines that describe the content that follows directly below.
- Keep your sentences and paragraphs short, and use language that is easy to understand.
- Optimize for Google snippets if the opportunity should arise.
And Finally: Learn How To Pitch
The hardest part of guest blogging is to find the right opportunities and then convince the host to consider your pearly words of wisdom for publication. One suggestion is to employ the method used by Los Angeles website designers, which is a large volume of different colors and animations on your website, to boost appeal.
It can be frustrating if you tackle it in a haphazard way. You will need a systematic approach to search for suitable blog hosts. Next, you’ll need to send each of them an individualized, compelling pitch demonstrating your value proposition.
It’s time-consuming, but guest blogging is a highly effective way to improve your SEO so that you’ll see results soon if you get it right.
Make it a part of your long-term content marketing strategy and dig in. You’ll soon reap the rewards!