Changes in Default Product Sorting on Category Page
When you visit your website’s page where products from one category are displayed, you might notice that the products are displayed in the certain order (they can be sorted by popularity, by average rating or have a default WooCommerce order).
If you want to change the order of the products displayed on the single category page, then you may be interested in reading this tutorial.
WooCommerce is a plugin, that can arrange products in different ways on the website’s page. You can set another type of sorting in the plugin settings. Let’s find out, how to change products sorting.
Changing Default Product Sorting
- Log in to WordPress Dashboard and select WooCommerce tab in the left column. Here you’ll see the Settings submenu, which you need to use.
- When Settings menu opens you will notice the tabs at the top of the page. You need to navigate to Products tab.
- Now open Display options and view the available sorting options (there are 6 of them):
- default product sorting option — enable it to sort products by name, or apply a custom order;
- popularity — you can choose this option if you want products to be sorted from most popular to the least popular ones;
- average rating — here you can set the sorting which will depend on the average rating of products;
- sort by most recent — apply this type of sorting if you want the recently added products to be shown first;
- sort by price — the option enables product order by price (the order can be ascending or descending, depending on what option you choose).
- If you want to apply a custom sorting, then you need to choose the first option (default sorting) and save the changes.
- Now you should navigate to Products tab, which can also be found in the left column of WordPress Dashboard. Products page will open, and you’ll see the Sort products link. It will allow you to sort the products as you want to.
Manual Products Sorting
Default sorting has alphabetical order, but you can change products order manually.
The second way to change products order is to set it manually when editing the product.
- Click on one of the products, choose Edit option and select Advanced tab in the Product Data section. Here you’ll see Menu Order field, where you can manually input the preferable order position for this product.
- If you want a group of products to be shown after another group, and you also need them to be sorted in alphabetical order, then choose Grouped product from the dropdown list, and change the order manually in the Product Data section.
- The products that have menu order “1”, will be shown after those products, that have menu order “0”. Both groups will be sorted in alphabetical order.Don’t forget to save the changes and click on Update button in order to make your changes take place.