The following tutorial will guide you through on moving your Joomla website from one domain/hosting to another.
- First of all, you need to create a ZIP archive of the website you need to move. Open the Joomla root folder on hosting server.
- Zip all the files from Joomla root folder – this option is available in hosting control panel File Manager.
- In case your hosting File Manager does not provide an ability to zip files, then you will need to download all the files using FTP client.
- Download a ZIP archive of your existing Joomla website to your computer.
- Open PHPMyAdmin Tool (it’s available in hosting control panel) and export your current Joomla database as the SQL file. You can check for the required database name in the configuration.php which is located in Joomla root folder.
- Connect to new domain/hosting and open the folder where Joomla files should be moved. Upload zip archive of your website to your new server. Unzip files using hosting File Manager. You can upload unzipped files directly via FTP in case your File Manager does not provide uncompress option.
- Create a new database on your new server which will be used by Joomla.
- Now you should import saved SQL dump of your database to new database by using PHPMyAdmin tool.
- The last step is to edit the configuration.php file in your Joomla root folder on a new server. Open the configuration.php file and locate the lines shown below. You need to specify the access details of your new database.
Then, locate the next line and change http://website.com to your new website address (URL):
Adjust the path for logs and tmp directories.
Feel free to contact your hosting provider in case you are not sure about these details.